Mergermarket is pleased to present Global dealmakers: M&A outlook 2023, published in association with Baker Tilly International.
Despite a rising tide of macroeconomic and geopolitical challenges, our survey of 150 global dealmakers shows that many are sending strong and clear signals that they will continue to pursue M&A deals in 2023 and beyond.
In fact, most respondents say that current challenges – including inflationary pressures and uncertainties caused by the war in Ukraine – are creating opportunities for deals.
Specifically, cross-border M&A has been key to recent strategies – and this will continue as dealmakers search the globe for opportunities. Most dealmakers (82%) have completed a cross-border deal in the past year – and 7% who said they haven’t are now prioritising opportunities outside their home markets.
This report looks at the trends and challenges shaping the market for global M&A in 2023 and beyond, providing insight into arising opportunities and where they can be found.
- Global positivity: 52% of respondents say global M&A will increase in the year ahead
- Opportunity in uncertainty: 46% say that rising inflation and geopolitical challenges are actually making them more likely to engage in cross-border M&A
- Key markets: 59% say they are looking for M&A opportunities in Western Europe, followed by 46% who have their sights set on North America
- Strategic priorities: Increasing market share and geographic expansion are the top two deal drivers for cross-border M&A among respondents – and many others say digital transformation is key to these deals
- The mid-market: 78% say the mid-market (deals valued between US$15m and US$500m) will see the most activity in the year ahead – and more than half (55%) who have already completed mid-market deals say these transactions met or exceed expectations and delivered value
Did you enjoy this article?
Add the following topics to your interests and we'll recommend articles based on these interests.